Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sorry, but we don't carry alopecia...

Most of you have heard this story, but I figured I would put it up here at the request of many. This occurred while I was working at the Missionary Mall. I was helping a mom find various items around the store. While looking at some gift items the mom leaned a little close and asked, "Do you have alopecia?"

Thinking this was some sort of product she was looking for that I wasn't aware of I tried to respond in a professional manner, "No, I don't think we carry that."

She then said, a little confused, "No, no, I mean with your hair."

Realizing she wasn't talking about any product but rather something to do with my spots, I thought quickly and couldn't remember ever having anything that sounded like alopecia (whatever that was!).

As soon as I was done helping her I got on one of the computers at work and looked up alopecia on Wikipedia. Once I started reading the light bulb came on in my head and everything started making a little more sense.

For those who are as uneducated as I was feel free to learn more.

1 comment:

Glamazon said...

Nice that you just have hair discoloration, not balding...But it does have a lethal ring to it. I am going to have to start asking my friends if they suffer from it as well.